Martin Baker Gay and his wife Ann Stewart Evans were brave pioneers who crossed the plains from Missouri to Oregon in 1851 (Oregon trail). Our family has a rich history in the United States of America.
A few fun facts for you...
- Sarah Julia Gay was born on the trails
- It was rumored that their son David Green Gay may have got his middle name from Springfield (Greene County) Missouri.
- James Woods Gay married his wife Frances Jane Gott before leaving on the trail and almost had to leave his new wife behind because her family didn't want to let her go.
- Mary Frances Gay met her future husband on the trail. John Cogswell searched her out when they lost track. They were one of the first marriages of Lane County, OR
- Martha Ann Gay was the youngest female at the age of 13 years old to write a diary of the entire trip to Oregon. Her husband James Alfred Masterson lost almost his entire family to the Ward Massacre in Idaho.
There is so much more rich history of our family. Please sign up (its free) on our website so you can have full access to pictures, newspaper article clippings, document downloads and more. Also please be sure to also contribute pictures, documents and information if you would. It is a blessing to all of us and the future generations.
To help us continue to offer this website free to you, please consider donating to the cause. Help us financially by clicking on the SUPPORT US link in the menu above. Thank you so very much. To see other contributers please visit the forum boards.
Tell a friend
These two places our family is super proud of. Our family was a part of these places, begginings! Please check them out today!!
Go visit them and tell them we sent you!!!
The Shelton McMurphey Johnson House had 3 different families who owned it, the last owner was Eva Frazer Johnson. Her husband Dr. Curtis Johnson and Eva herself ran their private practice (clinic) out of it. Eva Frazer was the daughter of Nicholas Frazer and Idaho Cogswell Frazer (Idaho Cogswell Frazers 2nd husband was Ira Campbell). Eva Frazer Johnson later donated the home to be used for the community. It is now a MUST SEE Museum you can visit. They are very active in the community. https://smjhouse.org/
☝️ The Campbell House: Was owned and built by Ira Campbell and wife Idaho Cogswell Frazer Campbell. The home is now an Inn, and now you can stay in this beautfiul historic home in Eugene, OR https://www.campbellhouse.com/ Idaho is the daughter of John and Mary Frances (Gay) Cogswell. Mary Frances Gay is a daughter of Martin Baker Gay and Wife JoAnn Stewart Evans.
Blogs & Videos